Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Simple Present

Hello there,

So... here is a little explanation about simple present.
I hope it can be useful to you.

SIMPLE PRESENT

1 general time: It always rains in November.
We often use the simple present to talk about permanent situations(1), or about things that happen regularly repeatedly or all the time(2).
Alice works for an insurance company. (1)
I play tennis every Wednesday. (2)


2 not used for things happening just around the present
We do not usually use the simple present to talk about temporary situations or actions that are only going on around the present. Compare:
It snows in January. It is snowing (not – Look! It snows!)


3 non-progressive verbs
However, the simple present is used for this ‘around the present’ meaning with verbs that do not have progressive forms.
I like chocolate. (not - I am liking…) I believe you. (not – I am believing…)


4 Series of events: demonstrations, commentaries, instructions, stories
When we talk about series of completed actions and events, we often use the simple present. This happens, for example, in demonstrations, commentaries, instructions and present-tense stories.
How do I get to the station? You go straight on the traffic lights, then you turn left,…


SWAN, Michael. Practical English Usage. 3rd Ed. 2005-2009

0 comments: